1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg size Vs Chicken size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skeeter, Dec 11, 2007.

1. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I hatched eggs for the first time and wasnt very selective and hatched some pretty small eggs,now I have some pretty small chicks compared to some of their siblings (same Dad),will these small chicks eventually catch up or will they grow into small chickens???Whada say Speckled Hen????

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, all I know is my own experience and I just had this one. I hatched an Ameraucana chick from a smaller egg than the others. The chick was the tiniest thing I'd ever seen outside of a bantam (these are standards), noticably smaller than its siblings hatched at the same time. Now, you can't tell the difference between him and his brother at all. I just posted pics today of the two black Ameraucanas, and one was that chick. I say they'll most likely catch up to their programmed size; at least, in most cases.

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Thanks Mrs Hen I knew you would know,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by