Egg size. When do they get bigger?

joehafner

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Ok got my first eggs this week from one of my Red Stars. She dropped a small pale one on Tuesday. And a larger nice brown one every day since. But they are consistently small. 1 3/8 oz. They all look perfect taste great great shape good shell but the same size, peewee on the scale. About how long into this does it take for the eggs to come up to full size. All 11 of the girls are eating and drinking well, no real stress even from the heat. This is our first one laying from a batch of March chicks.

In my experience the eggs will gradually get larger as they start laying to about 2 mos in to laying but will also get even larger after they molt. Although sometimes I still get small eggs from hens that typically lay large size eggs and they are 1 1/2 yr old.

Last edited:
Ours have taken a month, maybe more, to get to full size. Although we've had a few gals that surprised us with big eggs very early.

Last edited:
They will get bigger in the coming months. But there is a dramatic change in egg size after their first molt. (at least with my 2 girls that have molted so far)

Quote:
Ok so this is great. Its Tuesday, we have been steadily getting one egg a day from this girl, tight rock on at 1 3/8 oz, a pee wee. Today I swing home from lunch and holy smokes I thought one of the kids out another wooden egg in the nest. She laid a jumbo today 2 3/4 oz. Guess that was a lot of buildup. Lets see what we get tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom