Egg size. When do they get bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joehafner, Jul 18, 2010.

1. joehafner

joehafner Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok got my first eggs this week from one of my Red Stars. She dropped a small pale one on Tuesday. And a larger nice brown one every day since. But they are consistently small. 1 3/8 oz. They all look perfect taste great great shape good shell but the same size, peewee on the scale. About how long into this does it take for the eggs to come up to full size. All 11 of the girls are eating and drinking well, no real stress even from the heat. This is our first one laying from a batch of March chicks.

2. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    In my experience the eggs will gradually get larger as they start laying to about 2 mos in to laying but will also get even larger after they molt. Although sometimes I still get small eggs from hens that typically lay large size eggs and they are 1 1/2 yr old.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Ours have taken a month, maybe more, to get to full size. Although we've had a few gals that surprised us with big eggs very early.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. joehafner

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks,
    I know we are anxious since starting this back in March.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will get bigger in the coming months. But there is a dramatic change in egg size after their first molt. (at least with my 2 girls that have molted so far)

6. joehafner

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:Ok so this is great. Its Tuesday, we have been steadily getting one egg a day from this girl, tight rock on at 1 3/8 oz, a pee wee. Today I swing home from lunch and holy smokes I thought one of the kids out another wooden egg in the nest. She laid a jumbo today 2 3/4 oz. Guess that was a lot of buildup. Lets see what we get tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by