Egg size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ktjay563, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Ktjay563

Ktjay563 New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    To my surprise yesterday my daughter got the eggs from the nest and one of the eggs is HUGE I mean I cannot even close the egg carton. I am new to all of this so to me this looks funny. My girls are only 20 weeks and I know their eggs started off small, but man I have one that is already laying large eggs normally, but this one is HUGE. Is this normal to get one occassionally that is extra large -- what is the largest chicken egg ever laid?

2. Bill D

Bill D Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Fayetteville NC
    Mine are just starting to lay and we got a big one this weekend as well. It had 2 yolks in it! I have heard normal.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My first hen to lay was an ISA Brown. She started out laying some really HUGE eggs and if I had to guess I would say 8 out of the first 10 eggs were double yolks! She has now settled down to single yolk extra jumbo eggs! They do not fit in any egg cartons. Now in contrast to that my second hen to lay is a RIR and her eggs were about half the size of a large store bought egg. She just started and each egg after the first looks just a smidge bigger. I am waiting to see the egg size after it normalizes.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes it's normal. It most likely has 2 yolks in it. New layers give all sorts of strange eggs.

5. Ktjay563

Ktjay563 New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    How fun, thanks. I do love seeing all of the firsts with these girls. I am excited for the rest of them to start, but I got lucky with the 2, now 3 laying so early. I got them the second week in April right after Easter so they are only about 20 weeks and so far 3 out of 6 that I can tell are laying. I cant wait to see if it is a double-yoker, I am sure it has to be, do you ever get 3 yolks?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I've heard of it happening, but for me personally, I've never received an egg with 3 yolks.

7. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I got my first egg last week and all the eggs but one was tiny. One that looked like a torpedo was a small double yolker. I only have 3 laying at this point. They have been getting progressively larger and today I got my first large egg. This came from my SLW. It's so interesting to see the progression.

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Whenever I have had a HUGE egg, it is a double yolk. I love them because they are so big - Poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by