Egg Size

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oregon Blues, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm a bit surprised to see the weights of eggs that people are posting. It looks like the Pomeranian eggs are monsters at 188 gr and 187 gr.

I haven't seen anybody post weights that high. Pomeranians are not large geese.

How about it guys? Let's hear about your big goose eggs.

2. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I have a Pilgrim egg that is in the bator on day 14 that is 211 gm, the other three are from 204- 184 gms at day 14. My geese are in the 5th breeding season and alI I have pulled from the nest are from 185-215 gms.

eta: I just bought a digital scale a few days ago. I weighed my eggs on a dial food scale when I set them and when I saw most the eggs in the hatching more goslings thread I thought my scale was way way off, but the digital scale confirmed most my eggs are around the 190-210 weight.

This is my first season with geese. I got these pairs from a girl in my area.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Lilac Sebastopol at 209, buff Pomeranian at 213 there are others, will have to pull the spread sheet and look them up. We have some monster eggs this year.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Where can I get one of these scales??? I'm interested in weighing mine now...

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Most of my goose's eggs this spring weigh between 180 and 190 gr. Last fall she laid some monster big ones (double yolked), the biggest was 286 gr. She's a White Italian Goose.

Here's a regular chicken egg and the monster goose egg:
    [​IMG]

6. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    My biggest egg is from a utility Toulouse and weighed in at 219 grams at start of incubation. It is growing great. Can't wait to see the hatchling that comes out of it.

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We have 4 buff American eggs that are 218, 214, 220, and 226!

Weights are easily done on a digital kitchen scale. Walmart and target both sell them.

8. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    My Solid Cotton Patch's eggs are around 180 grams, biggest being 190

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks so much.

10. I took a American Buff goose egg, duck egg, brown egg, and bantam egg to school for my farm class to weigh. The goose egg weighed more than the other eggs all together -- I think it ended up at 189 grams -- was just an egg I grabbed though, not a particularily big one. I bet a double yolk goose egg is AMAZING . . .

The kids love weighing the goose egg with the other eggs - and suprisingly - they didn't break one . . . I'm hoping my sitting geese will have at least one gosling that I can show them in a few weeks . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by