Egg size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GACarpMAN, Oct 10, 2014.

1. GACarpMAN

GACarpMAN New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    So my hens have been laying for about a week. I think I have 3 out of 7 hens laying if that matters (2 RIRs and 1 barred rock) but the egg size isn't increasing. They are all golf ball sized, healthy looking eggs I just figured they would be increasing in size by now. Do I need to change feed, supplement, etc.?

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Sounds normal. As long as they are on a layer feed with oyster shell suppliment they are fine. It takes a while for their system to adjust. Give them time!

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It's very normal...my Black Australorp gals' eggs were what I call "medium" size for almost a month before they gradually got bigger and bigger. As the other poster said just make sure they are getting a good layer feed with oyster shell 'on the side' next to their feed....best of luck!! [​IMG]

4. bdjh

bdjh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Winnipeg
    As long as your feeding good food, I doubt it'll affect egg size.

Ours all started out small, too. Don't worry - they'll increase in size.

I don't know how long it took for our BR's to get to their maximum egg size, but after hitting it, they laid very consistent-sized eggs, comparable to a medium/large in the grocery stores. Though each one layed slightly different colors (shades of brown) and some were speckled, while others were plain. It was really cool to see.

We've got 2 leghorns that also lay very consistently, though every once in a while, we'll get one the size of a quail egg, and then other times, we'll find one that looks like it was laid by a brontosaurus. (ouch)

We've got one Columbian, and she's a very regular layer, but her eggs are HUGE and cream-colored, but her shells are very thin and fragile, and not smooth - they usually have sort of a raised ridge around the middle.

Bottom line, you're about to see all kinds of wonky eggs......that's all part of the fun.

Good luck
    Brian

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by