Egg sizes/types from Red Sex Link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kaugomu, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    We have one RSL hen (Red Star) from My Pet Chicken who is approaching two years in age. She is firmly on the top of the pecking order (and always has been no matter how often or how much we add to our flock) to the point of being somewhat of a bully at times.
    The thing I love about her though is the eggs she produces. They are beautiful brown with chocolate speckles and are usually on the X-Large to Jumbo size range. I'm wondering if this is typical of what others have in this breed, from this hatchery, or if my girl is just a bit special. I'm planning what chicks I want to get this spring and I'm starting to debate between another RSL or two and the French Blue Marans I was planning on simply because of the fun speckles but mostly the size (and frequency, almost daily!) of the eggs.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think you will find that the size of egg and frequency of laying ar pretty much guaranteed. The chocolate speckles carry no guarantee. [​IMG]

3. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Thanks, that is basically what I was thinking, just wanted a confirmation. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by