Egg soccer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dorpersheep, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dorpersheep

dorpersheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2014
    How do you all prevent the first hatchers in a brood from playing soccer with their slower to arrive brothers and sisters?

I have heard of some people laying out eggs ready to hatch in cartons - but other people have said it is important for the eggs to be able to rock to allow the chick to get in position to emerge.

And then if they are in cups made of cartons, (or something else) don't the first hatchers just send them flying as they crawl about the hatcher?

I have been using recycled plastic trays with 4-6 eggs on each during hatch, mainly to contain the broken shell and gunk that emerges with the chicks, although that didn't help much with our latest Araucana hatch, those little crazies were determined to scatter egg detritus ALL over the hatcher, they were amazing! But even with the trays the early hatchers climb from one to another and disturb the rest of the eggs.

I hate opening the hatcher and think I have lost chicks both in opening the hatcher in the past and in NOT opening it, and letting the older chicks kick eggs around the place. I can't win and it is doing my head in! Help!!

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The way I see it, the early hatchers kicking the rest of the eggs all over the place helps the rest of the chicks bust out easier.
    The chicks position themselves inside of the egg; the position of the egg itself doesn't matter. I've hatched in trays and I think it's easier for the chick to free themselves from the shell if it's laying on it's side, rather than a chick, exhausted from pipping a concrete hard shell from a layer ration fed hen, to climb up and out of it's shell.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I read a study not to long ago where they did an x number of eggs on their side for incubation/hatch, an equal number in cartons big side up and the same but small end up. They were looking more for hatch rates, but what they found was the hatch rates all averaged out with the hatch times being the difference. The eggs on their sides hatched out quicker than those sitting upright in the cartons. I can't remember the results for the ones upside down, I believe they fell behind the right side ups. I'd have to google to attempt to find the study again, but I found it interesting and it validates your thinking. I've thought about trying the egg carton hatch, but I keep thinking about the study and I have barely enough patience for them to hatch laying down, I certainly don't want to add time....lol

I don't worry about the first hatchers bumping into the eggs and rolling them around. I am more worried about having too many hatchers in the bator at once jumping around and getting hurt. My last hatch started and got going quickly and before I knew it I had like 7 or 8 little hatchers jumping around in the Little Giant bator. I use three thermometers and the digital thermometers apparently are like playgrounds for them because they were interested in climbing on them and jumping/pushing each other off. Being on the thermometers put them real close the heating element at the top, (which gets hot hot hot to touch). And with them playing around I had one get hurt hours after hatch. He was either pushed or slipped because all of a sudden you heard a thud and a crying chick. There was blood on the thermometer, blood on the wall thatvhe was then huddled against. He had somehow chipped his beak. I about freaked! He ended up being ok, and is a thriving 8 week old (already crowing) roo...lol. But after that I've decided every three/four hatchers will be pulled after they are warmed up and moving well. It was probably just some freak accident, but now it's made me wary about having that many jumping around in that small of a space.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm the other way I like the cut down egg carton method. I like it because I can monitor eggs better when they do start hatching and climbing about the incubator. Makes clean up a little easier too. I started out with method because of wonky air cells in shipped eggs and liked it so much I carried on with it with unshipped eggs. Have had a couple of 100% hatches of eggs that made it to lockdown with this method including a batch of shipped eggs. I think they get out of the shell ok here is a couple of pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They are so cute, makes me want to fill the bator right now!! Quite a variety too. It's funny how the white ones are together, the black is alone and the brownish are all having a party on the otherside!!! Nice segregation!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I know what you mean!! I'm controlling my addiction at the minute and keeping the incubator packed away. Even harder now my pullets are laying and the Roos are doing their jobs ok I have fertile eggs :celebrate. Going to wait for the better weather if I can!

Yes they are segregated quite well but that's polish for you strange little chickens even from hatching that's why I love them :love

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I ended up with two polish mixes from my last hatch. I never thought I would like/want Polish, but I love them. Unfortunetly one is a roo so he will be going back to my sister's, but I believe the other is a female (Polish/silkie) and I am looking foreward to be able to keep her. They have awesome personalities. The two silkie mixes that hatched, though I love their look, not crazy over their personalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by