1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Song a False Alarm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by N F C, Aug 31, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Our youngest girls are 19 weeks old now. One of the Black Australorp's went into the nesting box, made herself cozy for a while and in about 30 minutes she was standing up and singing at the top of her lungs. Our EE went into the coop and joined her for a duet. I was so excited! But once the BA jumped out of the box I looked inside and there wasn't any egg. No egg anywhere, not even a tiny one...not in the box, not in the coop, no egg to be found.

I haven't had this happen before (we've only been raising chickens since last December). Is this normal? I watched her for some time later and she doesn't act like she's egg bound (we have had that before with an older chicken so seen that).

What's up? [​IMG]

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Just practice, no need to worry. One of my girls that started laying late last summer was doing that this summer. She was such a stinkin little liar, she sat in the box (sometimes multiple times a day) and sang her egg song every day for weeks before finally laying again. No explanation for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    We had at least a week of egg songs before our first egg. I was excited, so I had lots of practice going up and down our stairs checking the nest boxes that week.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good to know I don't have a totally weird chicken! Thank you.

P.S. ChirpyChicks1...I'm still laughing about the "stinkin little liar". Those crazy girls.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. fiddlechicken

fiddlechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Portland, OR
    One of mine sang the egg song last week- I ran out the door to see which one it was, but she had stopped by then. I have since seen all three "squatting", but the barred rock is squatting the most.

I'm guessing that I just have to resign myself to waiting for weeks, and hope it happens sooner. Sigh. Oooh, maybe I'll run some speakers into the coop, and put Tom Petty on a 24 hour loop. See how they like holding out THEN!
    he-he-he.

"The WAY-YAY-TIN is the HARRRRRDEHHHHST PAAARRRRT!!!!"

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We had an egg today! A smallish perfectly formed, light brown, still warm egg.

But we have no idea who laid it. The other day when our BA was sitting on the nest she was very loud with her song and no egg. Today we get an egg but hear nothing.

These girls, practical jokers all of them!

There are a couple of suspects (1 of the Red Stars, or possibly a BR) but I guess until we catch someone in the "act", no one's talking. With 13 all the same age and showing varying degrees of readiness, who knows?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by