Egg song and no egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1stepcloser, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    I heard my layer carrying on today singing up a storm. She has JUST started laying and it was her first egg song ever. I was so proud of her...then I went outside and couldn't find an egg to save my life. Is she just confused? Do they do the egg song prematurely? Orrrrr......do I need to go looking for the egg again?

2. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    LOL! [​IMG] There is no predicting when it comes to the egg song. One of my EE's is louder than loud- she'll even cackle and carry on when it's someone else's egg she's announcing... or.... for no apparent reason than to make me come out and look in the nest box when nothing is there (I think it's her inside joke).

Today she laid an egg and came back outside without a song- just went about eating like nothing in particular happened- they are funny aren't they? [​IMG]

3. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Oh thank God. My chicken isn't the only weird one. LOL

4. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

mine do carry on randomly roos and all. I think they just like hearing themselves or think I will bring them a treat when they see me running outside to see what's wrong

5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    haha! I swear they have "trained" me to bring treats when they cackle (I can't really call it a song) since I don't want to bother the neighbors- I run out with something to eat to distract them with- ha - then they all settle down quietly and eat. It's really just one loud mouth- she's an EE that LOVES to make a ruckous! She's either bragging about an egg- anyone's egg- or complaining about the weather- or telling someone off- or remodeling the yard- or just yelling for nothing in particular- she's funny! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My sex link would do that at 6:30 in the morning. I'm convinced she did it to get me to run up there and let them out of the coop.

7. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

She is warming up the vocal chords!

I have a little EE pullet I simply call White Chicken. I was hearing the egg song and decided to go out and see who it was. It was White Chicken and she was behaving strangely. She seemed to be looking for a place to lay. And she was behind my shed. I really don't want to have to check behind the shed for eggs so I scooped her up and dropped her over the fence near the coop.

She went into the community nest and immediately came back out.
    She shecked out the nest boxes but didn't seem to like them.
    She went into the roosting area but came out again.
    She was being DRAMA QUEEN!

I went in to check my phone and e-mail and heard her carrying on again. I found her behind the shed again so again herded her back to the flock. She was squawking and carrying on. Finally I locked her inside the coop roosting area where there is a little cave on the floor for laying eggs, and went back to work. Came out again in about 15 minutes and she had laid a cute little pink egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by