Egg song at 10:30 last night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Mar 5, 2013.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    One of my hens was upset last night, she was out of her house and out in the run and clucking like she was going to lay an egg.
    I went out there and flipped the lights on and took my flash light but I didnt see anything or any evidence of an animal being around. I put her in the house with the other girls and locked their door.

I checked this morning, everyone was fine and there was no signs of anything trying to break in, nor was there any paw prints. So I'm thinking she may have settled to sleep outside in the run and then woke up in a panic because everyone else was inside? (None of the other hens were upset) Hens are strange creatures.

But I would hate for something to come back tonight and kill them

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I once heard what sounded like the egg song coming from the woods, when mine free ranged. The hen was being stalked by a fox, and letting the others know about it. Luckily, we were close by and able to prevent disaster.

3. CedarCluck

CedarCluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    If something agitates my girls even in the middle of the night they will start up with what sounds like the egg song as well. Happened last night when The snow and wind picked up and started to blow into the run. They were very unhappy and were going to let everyone know about it. For them its a form of alarm kind of like that of the rooster but when there isn't a rooster around I think they start doing it on their own to protect the flock. That's my personal opinion though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by