1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg song, but NO EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykittykitty, Oct 30, 2011.

1. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    I have an almost 5 month old EE pullet that woke me up with her "screaming" (I call her the screamer lol). I went out to see what was wrong, and there she was, sitting in her nesting box/bed "screaming" her little head off. After 5 minutes, she finally stopped, but remained in the nesting box. I checked on her 30 mins later, no egg. I wait another 15 minutes, no egg. Now it's 1 hour later, and still no egg. (btw she is still in the nest box as your reading this) What's going on???

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this her first time? I understand the first one may be painful.

I have a red that does the egg song whenever she sees another hen in "her" nest box. And all the nest boxes are hers.

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

This has been a fairly common experience for me. [​IMG]

4. kittykittykitty

kittykittykitty Luvin My Chickies

Jul 5, 2011
    an egg
    Chicken.Lytle :

Is this her first time? I understand the first one may be painful.

I have a red that does the egg song whenever she sees another hen in "her" nest box. And all the nest boxes are hers.

Yes, this is her first time.
    She is the only one in the coop, all the others are outside. She screams whenever another pullet comes close to "her" nesting boxes (she claimed all the ones on the highest shelf)

She's still in the nesting box screaming.​

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by