Egg Song Heard Today

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
No eggs present yet, but my 15yo called me outside to tell me that one of the Blue Australops was making a weird noise -- bok, bok, bok, BaGAWK. I didn't get out in time to hear it myself though.

I searched the nest boxes and coop. Nothing but golf balls and no sign of any disturbance in the boxes.

So I found a YouTube video of the egg song and sent it to him on Discord. Yes, that's what he heard.

16 weeks tomorrow so confirmation that egg time is coming soon (for a flexible definition of "soon").

Mine sang the song for a little while before laying. Once they started to squat, it was about a week to 10 days out. I put the one that started singing first in the nesting box a few times. I don't know if it helped her figure it all out, but she did and taught the others.

Good luck and congrats on that first egg soon!

One nestbox show signs of being investigated -- though I can't get too excited about this because they were shut in for most of the day the past two days due to having contractors on the property with heavy machinery close to their pen (as in yards away). They might have just wanted more room to not be on top of each other.

Back
Top Bottom