Egg song in stero coming from the woods

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carolyn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I went out early this am because I had a rehab appointment trying to get back to full speed after a broken ankle. My hens are just getting to look to me for their needs instead of to DH who took care of them all summer. I planned to let them out when I got home, close to the regular time. All except two flew over the fence and decided to start free ranging early. Only one of them ever has a problem flying in or out. I have 8 hens and get from 4 to 8 eggs per day.

When I came home there was one egg. Shortly afterwards I heard the egg song coming from the woods and it was a duet. I know they sometimes sing when they haven't laid one but I am afraid they decided to lay in the woods and I only have 12 acres of woods that I can't even safely negotiate yet. Those nest boxes better be full tomorrow. I just shared eggs with family and I have baking to do!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    .... and sometimes when they lay in the woods, they also go broody there!

3. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    and my hens make a point to only go broody when there is no roo on the place!

4. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    I found a nest with 8 eggs under some shrubs this morning. They were all fresh eggs. Hopefully mystery solved and I didn't make a mistake in taking all the eggs. It is actually closer to the house than the chicken house is; maybe they were just trying to be helpful! l

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by