Egg Song, No Egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Couture Family, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Couture Family

Couture Family Out Of The Brooder

So could my Greta be egg bound thinking she laid her egg? She was in there a while then came out singing the song but when I looked I only found the other girls egg but none from her?

Could she have thought one of the other ones were hers? Normally I get at least two of them out before the last girl lays so today she was last. She's only use to their being one other egg being in there with her so maybe she's confused?

Daisy's egg was really warm as if she had just been in there before Greta or maybe it was warm because Greta had just been laying on it?

Any who, I'm all confused. Greta has been laying good all week. But some reason she didn't lay although she came out singing as if she did after being in there a while. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's just practicing.

3. Couture Family

Couture Family Out Of The Brooder

Hm? Practicing? She's been laying all week. And that was her normal laying time. Why would she practice now?

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'Practice makes perfect' - even on days off.

5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I've noticed there's no real correlation among my hens between the "egg song" and the actual laying of an egg. In fact, the hens who sing the loudest and the most lay the fewest eggs, and they have yet to sing it immediately before, during, or after the act of laying.

I think some hens just like to sing.

1 person likes this.
  6. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    We have one bird that lays only one egg every couple of weeks. To hear her tell it, she lays everyday. She goes into the nest box, stirs the bedding around, jumps down and sings LOUDLY.[​IMG]

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, normal chicken behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by