Egg song question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by auto5man, Dec 13, 2011.

1. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Have heard many mention the egg song, but what is it...how does it sound? Maybe i finally heard it this morning when my Barred Rock 'Babe' was ready to lay but found a flock mate in the nest box. So Babe says...."bok bok bok Ba GAWK!! Bok bok bok bok bok bok baGAWK!! BOK bok bok bok BaGAWK baGAWK...bok bok bok bok bok bok BAGAWKBaGAWK!!!!". Is this the egg song? She was VERY insistent and persistent with this song and kep it up for about 15 minutes. 'Welly' my EE, was non-plussed and took her sweet time in the box laying her egg so Babe looked embarrassed, and rejoined her flock mates til Welly was done.

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Yep. That's the egg song alright! Usually they use this 'egg song' to announce the laying of their egg/s.

bok bok bok bok bok bok BAGAWWKKKKK!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, that's it! I had a barred rock who went on and on with it too. My others not so much. It's on of my favorite sounds. [​IMG]

4. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's it exactly!

One of mine does a real song and dance act when she lays an egg, the other is more of a quiet achiever.

5. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    its funny, but when my roo sees my hen laying egg, he sings the egg song! hahaha seriously! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:My1st layer crows when she lays. the 2nd layer is very quiet. She's quiet unless someone picks her up.

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Some of mine coo in the nest box. It's adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by