Egg Song with No Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turtlewomyn, Oct 14, 2011.

1. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    So I have been waiting for my chickens to lay an egg (I got them labor day weekend). This morning I woke up at 6 to turn on the coffee pot and lay back down because the baby had been up a bit last night. I had my eyes closed and was dosing off and all of a sudden I hear
    BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK BOK BOK BOK BA GAWK

I think "What is that?" then "EGGSONG!!!!! That is loud!. The neighbors are going to hear." I look out (the light on the chicken pen goes on at 5, it was now around 6:45) and a dark chicken is standing at the pen gate, calling. I thought it was the easter egger. I got up because I was worried about her being so loud. I let the dogs out (because I did worry she may have been upset about a predator) and walked out there. She was still standing there and it was the Barnevelder bantam (I was told she was laying before I got her, but she was broody when I bought her). I went in the pen and looked in their doghouse coop. No egg. Do they ever call before they are getting ready to lay? Could it have been a predator in the yard that she was upset about?

The neighbors two doors down have chickens that are not anywhere near that loud. I realize various breeds and various chickens will have different noise levels. It concerns me because I am uh, under the radar here. I do know of people who can take my chickens if necessary. This particular loud mouth is named Drumstick, I hope that isn't her fate.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That call is a warning or "I'm excited" or "I'm scared" call. It is very hard to distinguish the various calls. Point being, that is may not have had anything to do with laying an egg, but more to do with something you suspected. A squirrel, a bird, a cat, etc. Or, sometimes they just look around, feel unsupported by their flock mates and start up with Ba gawking.

Yup, some of them are really Big Mouths!!!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Fred's Hens :

Yup, some of them are really Big Mouths!!!

Ditto. I have one breed that...one will start...and the others all join in, regardless of the reason! Even the cock bird will join in! Holy cannoli, don't ever try to take a call near that pen!

Then, there are some that don't even sing it when they lay an egg! Hubby calls them "stealth layers."​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by