1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Artemis Fowl, May 16, 2011.

1. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Why is it that a chicken lays ONE egg she has to scream for an HOUR? [​IMG] Was that bred into the hens so the farmers would know when they had eggs, and if it was is it possible to breed it out of them over time?

2. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    considering that if it were to scale, that would be something like you passing a rather large watermelon. I don't know about you , but I would definately be screaming about it- at least- an hour LOL

3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    If you are a female & have kids I think you could say you have [​IMG]

4. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    The real thing is: this is the behaviour they had, when they were wandering around in the jungles of Asia. When one hen had to lay, she retired to her nest and stayed there for an hour or so,... meanwhile the rest of the flock keep moving. When the hen finished, she find herself alone....what does she do to find the rest of the flock? She sings. Where are you? where are you? And the roo and some of the other hens respond her: here we are.!![​IMG].....

6. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Nice post, kano!!![​IMG]

7. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Mine don't seem to lay an egg near the time of their egg song. They sing right at 7 am and around 9 or 10am comes the egg [​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Yes, that's one theory. Another theory is that she makes this racket to distract a watching predator from the nest with the egg she's just left behind. I've also noticed that sometimes my hens will sing before they lay, too. Who knows what's going through their minds?

10. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    Mine will often stop "singing" if I go out and congratulate them. I think they want their hard work to be acknowledged! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by