Egg Song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Ok...someone please explain the "Egg Song" to me. I believe I know how it sounds, as when I was a kid, I would hear grandma's chickens hollering from the coop and her telling me that one had just laid an egg. Do they make this sound for other reasons too???
    I have (9) 15 week old RIR's, BA's, and a buff O. My wife went out to let them out around 8pm this evening, and all the sudden, as soon as they all ran out to the yard, I heard one start yelling the egg song. I freaked out. I only thought they did that when they laid an egg, and plus, it was the first time I'd heard any of my chickens do it.
    One of my RIR's has just exploded with her 3/4" tall comb and wattles. They are huge, and extremely red. My others are still pale pink, and only about an 1/8 inch tall.

2. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    If you want to double check what it sounds like just search on youtube. There are a ton of videos on there of hens singing the chicken song.

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:I'm really trying to figure out if they make the same sounds for reasons other than laying an egg.

4. Sudsy Chick

Sudsy Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I don't know about other people's chickens - but when ours see a large cat or are freaked out in some other way they will make their egg call. I've also had them make it when they wanted out of the coop in the morning (spoiled birds!) Hope that helps! [​IMG] dawn

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    There have been several recent posts about the egg song here on BYC so check those out. Someone said that chickens will "practice" their egg song before they lay, so it sounds like yours are getting close! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm really trying to figure out if they make the same sounds for reasons other than laying an egg.

They can sing before, during and after an egg is laid.

And yes, the same sound can also be an alarm call, but it's intensity is higher. And everyone, including the rooster is doing it. (although roosters can sing the egg song also - mine does) Mine have jolted me out of bed at 5:30 with me running up there with my dog to find they are having a coronary over a deer. But better that than a predator.

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I found out it is my cross beaked Australorp that was making all the racket. She is the second of my nine birds that is developing a comb and turning red in the face. She did it again tonight when she couldn't find the other 8 birds. (they were dust bathing in my dogs hole he dug out to keep cool) As soon as she started, the others came out of the hole and showed themselves to her so she'd shut up!! [​IMG]
    It's just funny after hearing them make cheep cheep sounds up until about 10 weeks, and then hearing their voice change to that of a puberty infested little 13yr old boy!!!
    My Rhode Island Red that is developed walks around in the run and just grovels all the time. She's no where near the top of the pecking order either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by