1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Oct 31, 2011.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I got 2 new hens last week, the farm said they were between 18 to 20 weeks old. Tonight after they had gone in to roost i heard a lot of noise coming from the coop, started to make my way out there as i thought my 2 original hens were fighting with the 2 new ones, but as i got nearer i realised it was the egg song that they do before or after laying an egg. When i went in the coop i see it was one of my new hens making all the noise, she was sat on the roost and shut up as soon as i went in there, does this mean she will be laying soon and how soon can i expect to see her 1st egg?

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    It is still kind of a waiting game, even with an egg song for that first egg.

Mine did not sing the egg song till after they started laying a few, now I can't get them to shut-up [​IMG]

One day I had forgotten about the egg song & heard all this screaming and squawking, raced out to the coop, and there is one of my hens pacing back & forth, because another hen was in the nest box she wanted to use. Told her to use one of the others or just wait till the one she wanted was empty.

Hope your wait is a short one.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The eggs song can sound pretty similar to the chicken ruckus song. My chickens would squawk quite a bit when they were flying up to the roost or trying to get the best spot to roost. With the newbies in the coop roosting time is probably more of a ruckus than usual.

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    scratch'n'peck :

The eggs song can sound pretty similar to the chicken ruckus song. My chickens would squawk quite a bit when they were flying up to the roost or trying to get the best spot to roost. With the newbies in the coop roosting time is probably more of a ruckus than usual.

They had been roosting for about 30 minutes when she started and when i went in the coop they was all settled on their ussual spots, she was just singing the egg song.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by