Egg soon? Heat delay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I got 2 of my hens 3 weeks before easter, and 3 one week before easter. I havent got an egg yet, but for the past 3 or 4 weeks the temp has been in the 100s'. We have lost one hen to the heat, but she was very large (fat) and had allready been struggling. They all seem fine besides occasional panting and lots of drinking wich seems normal. I was just wondering, could the heat delay thier egglaying? Also, we are almost out of food, so when we get more should it be laying feed? Is laying feed okay for roos to eat too?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. onegoldhen

onegoldhen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    In the 70- 80's we had eggs consistantly. Than, it went to 103's an production dropped. (my production is 1-2 eggs every other day) now that it is 90's they are at it again.

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello? is there anyone else out there that can help? I would really like some help! Thanks![​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This question gets asked about every day. Yes, they heat is tough on the birds and many will not lay in extreme heat. Yes, Roosters can eat anything, including layer feed.
    There's no particular rush to feed layer feed until you actually start getting eggs, although at 20 weeks of age, there's little or no harm in doing so.

5. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I have actually heard that layer feed is not good for rooster, but im not an expert either. I was told just to keep feeding all my chiciens all purpose poultry feed from dels, which is what i feed to all my chicks/pullets/roos and ducks. And to just offer oyster shell and grit seperately.

6. Wimberleytexaschick

Wimberleytexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Wimberley, Texas
    I got my pullets the beginning of March and they were a 1-2 weeks old, so that puts them around 20 weeks old, no eggs yet here either. We are in TX and its been over 100 every day for the past 6 weeks...my girls have red combs and look ready to lay, but I suspect the heat is delaying it to. Hang in there, we'll get an egg at some point! I am feeding Flock Raiser to them and have a dish of oyster shell next to the feed. Will switch to layer feed once I get some eggs.

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I live in the Tulsa, Ok area, and we have been given the wonderful status of "The 4th hottest city" in the US this summer. I have (9) chickens that are 18 weeks and 2 days old. They're coop is not under any shade tree, and they stay in a covered run all day until I come home in the evenings. They constantly pant and seem to beg for cooler temps but.........I got my first egg yesterday, and I was pretty much expecting it due to the odd behavior that one of my RIR'S has been putting out.

I'm sure heat may have something to do with things, but maybe more so for an established hen that started laying before the 100+ degree weather showed up or one that is a couple years old. Mine are all pullets, so maybe they are able to fight off the stress of the heat. JUST A THOUGHT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by