1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg squashed by broody mid-hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alonelyhiccup, Feb 13, 2017.

1. alonelyhiccup

alonelyhiccup New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Today is day 22 and the chicks started hatching. My broody hen went mad and started attacking the chicks as they pipped. I now have two breathing but bleeding chicks on my chest, both have shells that are destroyed, crushed all over and attached in places. I don't have an incubator. What should I do? Just keep them on my chest to keep them warm and see if they live? I also have two eggs unhatched. I have no idea if they have living chicks in or not. They are on my chest too. Can anyone advise? I didn't think I was going to become a chick incubator today!!!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Do you hav a heating pad you can put them on?

3. alonelyhiccup

alonelyhiccup New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Thanks I do have an electric blanket on the bed but that's all. I've ordered a brooder for tomorrow but only one survivor so he will be lonely!

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Oh, sorry to hear only one made it. Can you get another chick to keep him company? If you have a 60 watt incandescent light bulb and a box, you can easily make a brooder with that.

1 person likes this.
  5. alonelyhiccup

alonelyhiccup New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank you this saved me :) I always thought a special bulb was required for some reason - can't believe how warm they get!

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Sure, any time. :)

Nope! Do make sure the brooder has a side where they can get away from the heat, and make sure the bulb is secure so it can't fall and start a fire. That's it, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by