"Egg Squat??"and how long after a move will they lay before stoping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red reaper, Sep 7, 2009.

1. red reaper

red reaper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    I have read on here about "Egg Squatting", what is this? most of the time I read this, is before a pullet starts laying.

Also, I assembled a group of 30 pullets, 10 of them already laying almost 1 per day. I moved the bunch home Aug 9th. There were 3 groups, from different people. The pecking order soon commenced, but settled out rather quickly, everyone seems to get along fine now. About 2 weeks ago, all the hens stopped laying, and am getting maybe 1 egg every other day. When I got them home, they laid fine, and took to the nests well. My theory is, the eggs were already coming down the tract, and took about a week to go from point A to egg in the nest. The move shook them up and that is why no eggs now. Is this correct?? Everyone is very healthy, plenty of water,mash, scratch grains etc.... What's the deal? they are inside a pen, so I know where the eggs are if they are there. The last week, I've been letting them free range to gvie them extra room and less tension from being penned up. I'm sure this is the same old question, but I just had to ask.

2. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Squatting is when a hen will act submissive by lowering herself to the ground with her wings spread. With ours, if you give them a nice pat on the back when they do it they will move their tail to the side like they've been mounted by a rooster. It is quite funny.

Ours started doing it just before laying, but have continued. Our last to lay has started doing it for my partner only. I think she thinks I'm lower than her in the pecking order perhaps

http://backyardhens.blogspot.com/2009/08/readiness-to-lay.html

As for the other question. Stress can put them off the lay, so perhaps they will settle back to it in a week or two. If they come back to the pen at night it is most likely they will come back to lay, but keep an eye out incase you get any secret nests.

3. red reaper

red reaper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    Thanks for the reply, I now know what Chicken squat is!! thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by