Egg squat or trying to make me stop touching her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMama6RIR, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ChickenMama6RIR

ChickenMama6RIR Overrun With Chickens

I have a buff orpington hen that is around 18 weeks old. Today I went to pet her and as I did she would bring her body closer to the ground. She didn't extend her wings and her body wasn't all the way to the ground. Maybe she was trying to make me stop petting her :idunno Her wattles have slightly reddened but not extremely and they haven't grown much either. So I guess I'm just curious if it was the beginning of the egg squat it if she really didn't want me touching her at the moment and was trying to get away. Thanks in advance

~CM6rir

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    If it looked like this, it was an egg squat

3. ChickenMama6RIR

Ok thanks! It didn't look quite​ like that. It looked slightly different :)

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

They all do it just a little differently, I have some who go down really far, and others who barely do

5. ChickenMama6RIR

Ok awesome! Yeah she didn't extend her wings gs so I guess she wasn't doing the egg squat but hopefully it will be soon. I only have one chicken laying and I have 10 hens. My mom and dad are like what's the use of having chickens if I'm still buying eggs lol. I laugh everytime know we will have to many eggs when they are all laying lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by