egg squat!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by l'abeille, Nov 26, 2009.

1. l'abeille

l'abeille Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    My BA squatted for me today, I think. She did it several times--put her belly on the ground with the "elbows" of her wings up. what do you think?

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    she squated for you
    she thinks your her man

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:is that what that is?

i thought they did that when they were close to laying eggs .... like a way to protect them or something

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    it is a submissive stance shes ready for mating and mature enough for egg production congrats

5. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    it is funny ---

if you squeeze her tail gently she will push her butt up ... and when you walk away she will fluff up her feathers and shake like a dog shakes water off

6. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    am i mistaking something else for the squat? my BA does that too but she only goes down for a split second and its not long enough for me to try and pet her tail to see if her butt goes up. She doesnt fluff her feathers either, she just walks away. Plus, she doesnt do it everytime i touch her back. Maybe its not the squat?

7. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:she squats and kind of walks away?

mine used to do the same ... 2 still do .... only one of them does the butt thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by