Egg Squat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Mar 15, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Only this group will appreciate this. I have three 5-month old girls. My EE has been a spaz that whole time. Won't come near me. Absolutely does not want to be held or touched. Sometimes, I go out after dusk when they've gone to roost and say good night and tickle their tummies. She always pecks the living daylights out of my hand.

Anyway, last evening I was giving them some BOSS out of my hand and she squatted for me. I was so shocked and surprized. I gave her a good scratch between the wings and went about feeing them more BOSS.

Is that all you do when they squat for you? Is give them a good scratch?

Oooooo, this means we're close to getting eggs. Honestly, I think I'm more excited that she's mellowing out and not so afraid of me anymore. YIPPEE!!!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] Yeah!! [​IMG]

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

[​IMG] Yeah!! [​IMG]

THAT'S where I saw that photo. Your avatar photo. I notice you had the photo of the week last week. I saw that and thought to myself, but they just had that photo. I was convinced. I even looked through the archives. And when I couldn't find it, I thought I was loosing my mind.

But I KNEW I had seen that exact photo somewhere. Congrats on getting it posted. I have submitted a number of photos but I'm not published yet.​

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:THAT'S where I saw that photo. Your avatar photo. I notice you had the photo of the week last week. I saw that and thought to myself, but they just had that photo. I was convinced. I even looked through the archives. And when I couldn't find it, I thought I was loosing my mind.

But I KNEW I had seen that exact photo somewhere. Congrats on getting it posted. I have submitted a number of photos but I'm not published yet.

Yes, I was quiet surprised myself! I summited that pic last November!! Haha

Thats the only one out of around 6 that got put up. [​IMG]

Hope you get one soon! [​IMG]

I'm hopeing to my Mr. Fluffy Puffy w/ Mrs. Fluffy Puffy once she finishes raising her 7 peepers! [​IMG]

I want some of her eggies so badly I can hardly stand it!!

5. jojo54

jojo54 Songster

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    I have several girls that run up and squat when they see me. I pick them up individually and pet and cuddle them. Not all the chickens do this but a few really like the attention.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I give a skritch between the wings, another quick skritch at the base of the tail-feathers, then a pat on the middle if the back, saying, "Good girl."

And even though I do know what it means, I prefer to think the little shake of feathers when they stand up is to re-fluff their "bed feathers."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Crowing

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Oh, thank you for your post. I love your stories on Lulu. What a sweet chicken.

Yes, I was particularly excited about this egg squat because this hen wants nothing to do with me typically. I happened to be sitting on the ground next to her when she did this so I picked her up and set her on my leg and scrached her back. She suddenly looked so fearful like, why did I let her pick me up. But she stood there for quite some time and then stepped down and stood there eating.

I'm just so happy that my efforts of raising chickens from day old chicks is finally paying off now that I have docile, friendly hens.

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Prepare for eggs, sounds like you're one step closer. [​IMG]

9. jojo54

jojo54 Songster

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:Oh, thank you for your post. I love your stories on Lulu. What a sweet chicken.

Yes, I was particularly excited about this egg squat because this hen wants nothing to do with me typically. I happened to be sitting on the ground next to her when she did this so I picked her up and set her on my leg and scrached her back. She suddenly looked so fearful like, why did I let her pick me up. But she stood there for quite some time and then stepped down and stood there eating.

I'm just so happy that my efforts of raising chickens from day old chicks is finally paying off now that I have docile, friendly hens.

Thanks for the comments on Lulu. She is sweet and very spoiled. I'm glad you're able to have the time to spend with your girls. Friendly chickens are a blessing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: