egg started to pip on bottom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jane5, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jane5

jane5 New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    I put the eggs pointy side down in carton, 1 egg started yesterday to crack on bottom side woke up this morning still the same out of 12 eggs that is the only one it is day 24 any advice would be appreciated.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you can I would try candling them.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would take the pipped ones and turn them a bit so that the pip is at the top or side so that the fluid doesn't pool at the bottom where they need to breath. My pips are usually on the side of the egg

4. jane5

jane5 New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    Ok I moved it but still not doing anything it has been almost 24 hours

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I think it may be gone. I would try peeling the shell away a little...NOT the membrane tho. Just the shell to see if you can tell if it's still alive or not. I hope it's ok!

6. jane5

jane5 New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    :| I peeled the shell back no blood i can't tell it looks big inside the egg, is it posible it is to big for its own shell? I will check on the egg in a few hours to see if it moved or started to make progress.Not sure what else to do.[​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Does it move when you touch it? If it is still alive it should.

8. jane5

jane5 New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    :(No it did not move at all i even tried removeing more of the shell to make sure nothing, it look like it could not get through the membrane it seemed really tough it makes me worried that the others won't make it due to tough membranes, also it completly fill the eye there was no yolk sac left

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If it was ready to hatch there wouldn't be a yolk sack left. When they pip they pip into the aircell first and expand into it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by