Egg stealers

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
I hope this thread belongs in this section as it pertains to 3 egg stealers.
Here's the setup ….. I recently acquired an established flock of 1 rooster, and 8 hens. I have 3 sweet dogs that love to watch and protect the new arrivals. The hens apparently are (mostly) not laying in the nesting boxes, but stashing them outside somewhere, on their free range territory.

Although the hounds are forbidden in the coop, the dogs keep bringing me eggs they find hidden on their territory. They brought me 13 eggs yesterday alone, and ate at least 3 that I know of.

They are very docile K9s, and have very soft mouths, and only damaged a couple of the eggs, except the ones they ate of course !!!

Is this a problem, or a blessing ? I have no idea where the dogs are finding these eggs, but they are bringing most of them to me. I'm not sure if I should praise them, or punish them ?!?

Today I plan to carefully watch both the fowl, and the hounds to try to figure this out.

Here is a pic of the offenders, From left to right - Roobee, Juju, and Gomer …..
IMG_7058.JPG

Thanks for any comments, or tips in dealing with this situation.

:welcome :frow Your dogs are beautiful. Initially when you first got the birds I would have shut them in their coop for a few days and if you have a run/pen let them in it but definitely in their coop for at least 2/3 days, then they can get used to it and know it as their safe place and their home. By allowing them to free range they will continue to find places to lay their eggs and most likely it's in one or two spots. Usually when one bird lays in a spot the others will too. You need to find out where they are laying the egg but first I would shut them in their area and let them get used to it. I put golf balls in the nest boxes and for the most part the birds lay in their nest boxes. The pullets will lay an egg on the floor of the coop or outside of the coop once in awhile especially when they first start to lay but do figure it out. This is what I would do, I'm not telling you what to do. Good luck and have fun...

I hope this thread belongs in this section as it pertains to 3 egg stealers.
Here's the setup ….. I recently acquired an established flock of 1 rooster, and 8 hens. I have 3 sweet dogs that love to watch and protect the new arrivals. The hens apparently are (mostly) not laying in the nesting boxes, but stashing them outside somewhere, on their free range territory.

Although the hounds are forbidden in the coop, the dogs keep bringing me eggs they find hidden on their territory. They brought me 13 eggs yesterday alone, and ate at least 3 that I know of.

They are very docile K9s, and have very soft mouths, and only damaged a couple of the eggs, except the ones they ate of course !!!

Is this a problem, or a blessing ? I have no idea where the dogs are finding these eggs, but they are bringing most of them to me. I'm not sure if I should praise them, or punish them ?!?

Today I plan to carefully watch both the fowl, and the hounds to try to figure this out.

Here is a pic of the offenders, From left to right - Roobee, Juju, and Gomer …..
View attachment 2001352

Thanks for any comments, or tips in dealing with this situation.

Pardon me, but atleast two of your dogs look rather obese to me. Eating yolks is not helping them. By the way I mean no offense.

If the chickens are locked in at night, you could just watch the chickens as they are released in the morning. Also, many chickens will announce when they lay an egg, squawking in a particular way. Follow the egg song to the nest. The girls are probably only laying in a few places, as they would view them as designated "nests".
Your dogs are apparently pretty smart. I wonder if you could teach them to lead you to the nests, not bring the eggs to you.

:welcome :frow Your dogs are beautiful. Initially when you first got the birds I would have shut them in their coop for a few days and if you have a run/pen let them in it but definitely in their coop for at least 2/3 days, then they can get used to it and know it as their safe place and their home. By allowing them to free range they will continue to find places to lay their eggs and most likely it's in one or two spots. Usually when one bird lays in a spot the others will too. You need to find out where they are laying the egg but first I would shut them in their area and let them get used to it. I put golf balls in the nest boxes and for the most part the birds lay in their nest boxes. The pullets will lay an egg on the floor of the coop or outside of the coop once in awhile especially when they first start to lay but do figure it out. This is what I would do, I'm not telling you what to do. Good luck and have fun...

Thank you for your input. I did have them in the coop / run for 4 days when I got them ….. That was 2 weeks ago, and I did get a couple eggs a day. I was thrilled !

I thought the low number of eggs was because of the winter weather, so I really didn't notice the low count once they started ranging.

Shortly after my original post, I went to let the chickies out, and a couple made a beeline towards the doghouse !

P1120151.JPG

When they cleared out, this is what I found in the back corner ! Right now there is a line waitin to get into the doghouse !

P1120149.JPG

No wonder the dogs were bringin me the eggs !

Little Gomer told me it wasn't fair that the chickens could go into their house, but they couldn't go into the chicken house !!! :rolleyes:

P1120175.JPG

No offense taken ! :th

In my defense, they do have a LOT of fur this time of year ! :hmm

Thank you, I didn't factor in the chilly winter. They look super cute. Are they not border collies? I maybe wrong but they look quite similar to the said breed.

I am glad that you found your eluding eggs. Barred rocks is a breed that I like. In my opinion an ideal dual purpose breed. They are good layers, good foragers, they are not a nervous wreck, the hens occasionally go broody and the cockerels are ideal for caponizing.

Back
Top Bottom