egg stealing in new jersey

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by njchicks, Aug 26, 2010.

1. njchicks

njchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Hi All,

Just want you to beware, for the last days I have found no eggs after work, with a flock of 12 good layers, 1 roo, and 4 too young to lay, no, just w eggs. Tomorrow comes a padlock..... The egg hysteria just watch out. Rob in NJ

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think it is the weather, you are not the only one going through a BIG slow down in production right at the time there is a recall. I have 55 hens and it took me 6 days to collect 24 eggs.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Between the recall and announcing all about Jersey Flockkeepers... well I hope for everyone's sake it's just the weather.

So far I guess we're lucky... we've had an odd 2 egg day (out of four) but yesterday was 4 and today 3... in Texas heat... so... donno. But then again we did get a cold front here... actually got into the 70's overnight. Downright chilly for Texas August. So maybe that's why they are doing well?

4. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    The heat here too has been so bad-not hardly a egg-but the last 2 nights it cooled down and YES!!!! 13 eggs today-I was sooooo excited-my girls are pretty good layers but who can blame them in 100-105 temps.-I was a little crabby too!!!! [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    eggs WAY down here too. And I have about seventy hens, not selling or hatching eggs right now, and `I HAD TO BUY A DOZEN EGGS the other day. Torqued me off GOOD! Putting your lock on will give you good peace of mind though... Do it, for your own sanity.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Don't have a horse, do you? I just found out that the reason I haven't gotten any eggs out of the barn for the last week is that my mini has been eating them!

7. njchicks

njchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Thanks everyone for your posts , maybe it is the weather. No, no horse here.....
    Rob

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Wow! yet another pest to add to the threat list. Who'd a thought? [​IMG]

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I get at least 1/2 dozen everyday and I had two 1 egg days in a row! I know its not theft....closest neighbors are 5 acres away and I give them eggs [​IMG] I think its just the weather!

10. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    It is the weather... I normally get 3 to 4 eggs a day and mine have slowed down dramatically. I have been lucky to get 1 egg a day over the last few weeks. Its starting to cool down here though so hopefully they will start laying again. Good luck to all of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by