Egg stealing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shiloh Acres, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Not really a question -- unless someone has a video of this.

I've had hens move eggs from one nest boxto another -- somehow -- without breaking them. And today my new hens started doing it too.

I sure would like to actually see them do it. I've seen hens "pick up" chicks under their wings, but I'm still not sure how they carry eggs or otherwise move them without breaking them.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I've had them move eggs too. The strangest was from the floor of a tractor to a nest about a foot off the ground when none were broody. I don't know if it was the rooster or one of the hens.

I have never seen them do it, but I saw a post on here from someone I trust that said she saw one carrying an egg under the wing. I tend to believe her.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The hen stands next to the egg, then leans over it and tucks her beak under the egg so it is held between her beak & neck and her breast. Then she carries it carefully, in a sort of waddle, to the location she wants to put it. Normally it's just a short move from one nest box to another.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Impossible..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by