Egg-stipated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I have one EE pullet who consistently makes a big production out of laying. She sits in the box a long time, and when it comes down to it, she grunts and fluffs out all her feathers. You can hear her holding her breath and just PUSHING with all her might - and then she lays a medium egg. She's been laying about 2 months, and she lays about 5 days a week.

She's never had any blood on her eggs, except the very first few. She seems normal the rest of the time - except that she runs like a duck.

Do you think she'll get over this, or is she more likely to get eggbound? Do you think maybe the waddle and the laying are related, that maybe the shape of her pelvis is different or something?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Give her some time. All my hen grunt when they lay an egg.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Your hens grunt? Oh my...

On a serious note though, I'd watch this hen for possible prolapse. Does she get free access to crushed shells? Apparently it's not just the eggshells that use calcium- the hens use a lot in their muscles when laying.

4. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Yes, plenty of calcium (oyster shell), and good layer pellets. ACV in one waterer and vitamins in another, and free ranging evenings and weekends.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have ever watched then lay an egg the stand up and push and make a little grunt sound. All 30 of my laying hens do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by