1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg stopped chirping and moving

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tamanda003, Jan 23, 2015.

1. tamanda003

tamanda003 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    Around 3 o'clock an egg began to pip. By 4 it was furiously zipping around the shell. It seemed very strong and was chirping the whole time. All of a sudden it stopped about 2.5 hours later. It made it half way around already. No movement, no chirping. What should I do?

The membrane seems opaque where the shell has come off. Humidity was about 65, but is now up to 70. One spot of the membrane seems red inside.

I know it can take a while and maybe it is tired, but with no movement or sound I am worried. :(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    I'm not sure what to tell you except maybe it wasn't quite ready and it's giving itself a rest. Anytime mine have pipped it takes between 12-24 hours for it to start zipping, so maybe it needs to finish absorbing the blood. Is there a way you can post a pic?

3. Chickgirl3

Chickgirl3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Washington
    Don't worry, I've been hatching chicks for a couple years, and most of them do this. In fact, mine usually stop several times before they get to the half way point. It takes a lot of hard work for them to hatch, so they take breaks. The chick is probably sleeping for a bit, and will start up again when it's ready. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. tamanda003

tamanda003 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    I was concerned because I had a previous egg that the membrane suffocated it. I was so concerned because I was able to see breathing and then not. I peeled back a few pieces of the egg shell. The chick was dead. Head in it's abdomen, beak slightly open. I am not sure how this happened so fast. One minute it was fine- the next not!

5. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    When I get worried I tap the incubator just enough to wake them up to see movement then leave them alone. I'm hopeless.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I play videos of chicks peeping next to the bator....lol

7. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    So how did it go?

8. tamanda003

tamanda003 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    It didn't make it. :( Not sure what could of happened.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sometimes they just aren't strong enough to hatch.

10. Dcat

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    Aww, I'm sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by