Egg Storage and care 101?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamascarlett, Oct 10, 2015.

1. mamascarlett

mamascarlett Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    So now that I have my first egg YAYYY!!-Can you guys please give me some essential tips on storage and care of your eggs? How long should I expect my hens eggs to last? Is refrigeration essential? Do you always wash your eggs and if so with what?
    Storing tips?
    Thanks!

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    From my understanding they can last up to three months if not longer(mine dont last that long they get eaten quickly) if you wash them you take off what is called the bloom that protects the egg from bacteria, if they dirty i some times run them under water but normally i put the in the fridge and srub them with soap right before i use them.

3. stacy55

stacy55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    I have the same questions that you have asked. Can anyone else give us more information on the questions asked?

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

What else did you need to know? Previous poster seems to have covered the basics, was there something specific you were after?

The thing not mentioned above is refrigeration, no it's not essential, in many countries eggs are still stored and sold un refrigerated. I keep mine in the fridge because it came with a handy dandy egg rack and I can keep track of the freshness by having a use from the front first policy and always moving them forward to fill up spaces then filling from the back. Without that I'd have to store in a bowl and mark them all.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. stacy55

stacy55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    We are new to the chicken business also. We live 20 minutes away from our coop. So its usually the next night before we get to the eggs. By then they have poopy all over them. I bring them home and wash and dry them. I then put them in egg cartons and put in fridge. We sell them to family and friends. I didn't know you weren't suppose to wash them. but there's no way i would sell them to people being all nasty. Is there a better way of cleaning them. Also how long is it safe to leave them in the coop. We try to get them every night but sometimes we can't. So you all are saying we don't have to refrigerate them. I could clean them and leave them on my counter for weeks.. Is that not unsanitizing to have them out. Thank you for your alls answers that you already answered.

6. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Once you wash them they need to be refridgerated simply because you taken off their natural protection from bacteria. I have asked other the same question on how long eggs are ok in the coop for and it depends on the tempature. The hotter it is outside the fast ther egg can spoil if left in the coop/nesting boxes. We had 100+ days here in Texas and i try to collect as soon as i can. However i have left some in there until four pm because hens were laying when i tried to gather the eggs and they have been fine. But most say that if they stay in 90 degree weather two nights they wouldnt trust them. I dont really know how long it takes for them to go bad at those tempatures but its pretty fast from what i been told. If you run the eggs only underwater and dont wash them with soap/ scrub hard and you dont take off the bloom so you can leave them out. Also tractor supply has egg wash that might be better then just soap if you want to leave them out but i have yet to purchase this as i dont sale my eggs (Not enough to sale quite yet) so i cant say techically if it would be safe to leave them out i believe it says something on the bottle about it being ok but dont take my word on that because i could be wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by