Egg storage before incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by drowe005, Mar 26, 2012.

1. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I have read that storing Chukar eggs in specific, but could be the same with other eggs, is done best at 55 degrees F (+ or - a couple degrees). I have a small mini fridge that I am able to have at about 53 degrees on the lowest setting. Would this be a good idea to store them there until ready to incubate or would the extremely dry air inside cause a problem. Any other suggestions for storing are welcomed as well, Thanks

2. drowe005

drowe005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Corapeake NC
    I've found out the answer to part of my question and that is that storing in the refrigerator at 53 degrees is not OK because they need to be stored at around 70% humidity. So how do you store your eggs? I don't have a basement or somewhere similar that would stay that cool either.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The high humidity is so the egg doesn't lose moisture; end up with too large an air cell before hatch. The weight loss/air cell size can always be monitored and humidity corrected for during incubation but definitely advantage to full weight at start of incubation. As for getting your humidity up in refrigerator do exactly what you do in incubator. Add a pan of water. Check with hygrometer to see if you need to add another pan.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by