Egg storage question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MickeysChicks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. MickeysChicks

MickeysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Time change and first cold snap here in the South! Usually I closeup the coop and collect eggs around 7:30pm, today it was around 5pm and the girls were already snuggling in for the night! As I collected eggs I noticed how cold they were! When I brought them inside and inspected them and did a little "dry" cleaning it was really noticable how cold they were, felt like refrigerated eggs!
    My question is , do I need to start refrigerating them now, or are they o.k. hanging out on my kitchen counter like I've been doing all summer? We keep our house a little on the cool side anyway ,usually around 69 degrees.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Depends how long you keep them, but probably they will be fine. I've read that in Europe they sell eggs off the shelf so you know they go weeks without refrigeration. Mother Earth News did a greatt study on this some years ago, if you want to do some reading. I think it would probably be 4 or 5 months before you'd notice any difference in quality, if you haven't washed them, a little less if you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by