Egg storage

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Headchick55, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Headchick55

Headchick55 Hatching

Sep 28, 2019
    Should I keep my eggs in the fridge or on the counter?

Barbs Girls and MROO like this.
  2. TwentyOneChickens

TwentyOneChickens Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Maryland
    I keep my eggs on the counter before I sterilize them because the bloom will protect it, but after I sterilize them I refrigerate them because apparently with the bloom off, it can go bad. I don't know where I heard that from though.

3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    You can do either. I don't wash my eggs until I use them. Not washing them protects them if you're leaving them on the counter. If you do wash them then put them in the fridge.

I put all my eggs in the fridge because my cat would knock them off the counter.

4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If eggs are unwashed and relatively clean it's up to you... eggs do age faster being left out compared to refrigeration but they can take up quite a lot of space in a fridge (I have 1 shelf dedicated to only eggs). If you've washed the eggs, they should be refrigerated as you've removed the protective bloom.

5. Club cramahe coop

Club cramahe coop In the Brooder

Sep 22, 2019
    Ontario Canada
    If they look relatively clean, do you need to wash them at all? Can we just crack them into the pan to fry ?

Barbs Girls and Wee Farmer Sarah like this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    No need to wash them, for some people it just feels more reassuring to do so. Dirty eggs should be washed before using (and I'd use those immediately) as there's a greater potential for some of the dirt to flake off into your bowl/pan.

7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    @TwentyOneChickens , how do you sterilize your eggs? I just give mine a little wipe with a wet paper towel if there is any dirt or poop on them (does not happen often as the nests stay pretty clean) or a quick rinse under running water if dusty.

Barbs Girls and Wee Farmer Sarah like this.
  8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    According to the USDA, refrigerated eggs are good for 100 days from hen to plate. That's 3 months and 10 days, approximately. Sorry, my phone will no longer let me copy and paste web addresses (this was considered an "update," I understand). In the US, commercially produced eggs are washed and refrigerated. I don't know how long they're good on your counter, but the temperature of your counter should be considered. We have this conversation on a pretty regular basis.

9. ConnieA

ConnieA Songster

Mar 9, 2015
    Is this the link you were trying to copy?
    https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...ration/shell-eggs-from-farm-to-table/ct_index

10. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I don't refrigerate until I wash them. Keeping in mind that our ancestors never refrigerated eggs. There's really no need, unless you do keep your eggs for 3 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: