egg stuck in auto turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stevenson, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Stevenson

Stevenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    So, earlier tonight I started candling some eggs and had one that was stuck to the auto turner. I tried to get it out, but apparently it was stuck tight and it broke. I did the best I could to clean it and remove any remaining egg. After the temperature got back up, I finished candling and found another egg that is stuck. Do you all have recommendations for how to get it off of the auto turner without breaking another egg...or should i just let it stay there until the hatch?

2. Stevenson

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    btw, I am on day 7

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Oh dear, you had a weeper. I would get the other egg affected out immediately, as IMHO it has no chance to hatch. The weeper spread bacteria, I do believe.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Agreed, it's a nasty egg get rid of it soon!

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I'd say take it out. It might burst and infect your entire clutch with bacteria.[​IMG]

6. Stevenson

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    Ok....so how do I get it out....and when it breaks (i am assuming it will like the others) how do I clean things up satisfactorily?

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I'd take a little spray bottle and spray the egg stuck... Let it soak, then try. Don't pull too hard and break the nasty booger though.

8. Stevenson

Feb 5, 2011
    Southwest Indiana
    I got it out! A part of the outer shell came off, but the membrane stayed intact, so there was no mess. Thank you all for the help.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:awesome! Good for you! Sad to have to get rid of them, but like the others have stated.. it was not good and would have messed with all your other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by