Egg stuck in incubator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tatswell, Oct 3, 2016.

1. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    I have 7 eggs in the incubator, one of which did not make it. I'm assuming there was a hairline crack I missed and perhaps a small amount of yolk stuck to the egg tray..? I don't see any leakage but it is nestled very snug on the tray and the tray is not removable without removing the others eggs, which are at 2 weeks.
    I tried a drop of dawn to see if it would loosen it- did not work. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    The other eggs can be removed for about and hour. Keep them warm and away from drafts for that time. Maybe wrap them up in a towel.

Remember, ducks leave their nests to eat and swim about once a day, so duck eggs cool down in the wild.

3. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Yes I intend on removing them but I'm having difficulty getting the egg out without making a mess. Wondering if there are any remedies out there to have it twist out

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    If you can't remove it without making a mess do what to can to minimize that mess. If your incubator is small enough bring it to a trash can and try to hold it over the trash while you remove it.

You'll need to throughly clean and sanitize the incubator after removing the egg since you're likely to make a mess to matter what.

5. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    Right. Coconut oil perhaps? I will try it and update this post in the case of other members with the same issue- without removing the entire tray.

6. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    The coconut oil worked! Just dabbed a bit on my finger and rubbed around the egg, let sit for a half hour, and with a little careful effort it twisted out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by