Egg stuck to butt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joe17, Jan 16, 2011.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    My silkies have just started laying eggs and I noticed that one of them has an egg stuck to its bottom! The egg is cracked. The hen doesnt seem affected by it though. It doesnt look like it hurts her atleast. Why does this happen? The silkie is very fluffy! I still didnt switch to laying pellets yet because I am still going to finish off a little grower mash. Tomorrow Im going get laying pellets and will feed them more oyster shells. Could the egg get stuck and crack because it has a thin shell?

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

More than likely yes.. Also eggs when they are coming out are wet.

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    You need to get a bit of water and slowly peel the egg off. One of my silkies, the fluffiest one, also has this problem. It's darn annoying! Have to keep bathing her to get it off, lol

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    okay now another one had an egg not cracked stuck half in her bottom. I gave her a warm bath and it came out cracked. Now its all gone but there is some red blood around her vent like goo almost. Probably because her vent had to stretch really big for a while. Will that little blood go away?

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I believe you just need to check if it is a fresh wound or if it is healing. I'm no expert at this but I think it will go away [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by