Egg Stuck...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chullicken, May 18, 2019.

1. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    One of my hens, RubyRuberton, has had egg binding for about a week now. Her vent seems to have a bulge so that's good I think as she's managed to move it slightly. I have given her Tums bits, Salt Bath, Secluded and given Electrolytes to her water. She wants to be active and is still eating well and drinking water. I'm out of ideas on how to fix her before its too late. I even consulted my vet who just kind of smiled at me with a 'gaf' face. She's sitting a lot, walking like the penguin we all know and love and now has trouble standing. I'm out of options with my experience as to how to proceed...need some help.

RedSexLink
    4 Years Old
    Solitary Coop, 3 X 6
    Layer Pellets, Greens

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. I don't understand what you mean by a "gaf" face?

Chullicken likes this.
  3. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    I was keeping it family friendly...'give a f**k'

penny1960 likes this.
  4. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    Chullicken likes this.
  5. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    I wasn't really sure what one to post this under, so I chose this one. Yeah the vet was utterly none helpful, was super disappointed. Just kind of got the impression they didn't want to really pursue it as they don't do avian's which is fine. I have zero experience with anything internal with chickens and her being a pet I'm starting to freak out a little bit.

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's an egg?

7. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    I've had to take some deep breaths, myself. You could post there with a link back here. More views might help.

Chullicken and casportpony like this.
  8. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    I am not sure its an egg. She has all the signs and what I could feel its oval shaped similar to the top of an egg. But no, not sure at all.

9. BugStalker

BugStalker Songster

Feb 2, 2016
    Can you feel the shell/surface of the oval, or are you just feeling through skin?

Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  10. Chullicken

Chullicken Songster

Apr 10, 2016
    Dorchester, NH
    When I was giving her the warm bath I could feel her stomach pulsing as if trying to pass something but no, I felt the bump over the skin and external.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: