Egg Stuck!

backyardflock1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 22, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello, my baby speckles seems to be having troubles. We took her out of the coop four days ago because she was getting picked on tremendously. Her bottom was pecked raw, it is in the healing process. I think she is trying to lay nan egg now due to the lump in her anus. She is squawking to let me know she is hurting. Is there any way to get the egg out safely? Would putting her in a bath of warm water maybe open things up a bit? Thanks a ton for any help!

anyone have any tips? I think the lump in her swelled butt is an egg- I don't think it could be anything else. Anyone ever had this problem? Is there a way to ease the egg out without hurting her too much? I tried gently squeeze the egg out but It would not budge- any way to help her relax her butt so It might come out?

Correction: It might not be an egg. It seems to be severe constipation. When she starts squawking and getting upset is when more feces/juices come out her bum. It might be mixed with blood- or it might be from her butt expanding that the blood is coming from.

Update: Took her to the vet and apparently my original hypothesis was correct; an egg is stuck. They are injecting her right now with a thing to help her get it out, she will stay inside until the warm spring comes out :)

She is still at the vet- they recommended she stays there until Monday. Hopefully the injections get the egg out, because the alternative option is surgery.

Last edited:
Sorry that you didn't get a lot of answers early on, but it's good that your vet is helping. Chickens don't drink as much in winter, and she may have been kept from water by the others, causing her constipation. Frozen water can also be a problem in winter. Hopefully she doesn't have a gizzard blockage or something else wrong. A few drops of molasses or some applesauce can work as a laxative in chickens. Lubricating the vent with vegetable oil may also help.

Back
Top Bottom