Egg Taking long time to hatch progress has slowed down.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dondons1987, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dondons1987

dondons1987 New Egg

Mar 20, 2011
    Im incubating some eggs and one pipped 3 days ago started to hatch 2 days ago. The progress seems to have stopped but the egg has cracked nearly all the way outside. I dont know whether to help the little chick out or just leave it. Its just seems to be taking more time than usual im worried it might not make it [​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I hate to say it, but - you may need to help him out. If it's been three days

since he made a hole in the egg, he needs help. Do you know how to help him?

3. dondons1987

dondons1987 New Egg

Mar 20, 2011
    no ive never had to help one hatch before.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it's still alive, you just simply take little bit by little bit off, if you see blood, wrap in wet paper towel leaving an opening for it to breath.

Hate to say it but if it's been like that for 3 days, it's probably no longer alive

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree sorry. I had one start to zip, made it 1/3 of the way and stopped. I waited 3 hours then decided to help, it was too late, already dead. But you might luck out.

6. dondons1987

dondons1987 New Egg

Mar 20, 2011
    awww, thanks for the advice guys, I took the shell off round its head so it just needs to push through a little bit. I dont think she will make it but at least i gave lil chicky a chance [​IMG]

7. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    If I were you... I'd probably try to help more than just that. After so much time in the egg, the chick might be too weak to get out on her own. Also, after all that time I can't imagine she's not ready to come out. (It's within the realm of possibilities but I wouldn't say it's likely). What does everyone else think? I just never like it when a chick dies unnecessarily...

8. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I had one that was in the egg for about 2 days after making a hole,

chirping it's lil' HEAD off. Finally helped her. Named her Tweety. She lived happily.

Last thing you need to do now is loose hope. Try your best with her.

Good luck

ScissorChick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by