Egg taste and shelf life

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Freepopcorn, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Freepopcorn

Freepopcorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Jefferson County, TN
    First, I'll introduce myself: My name is Kevin. I am a Police Officer in Jefferson County, TN...and I love chickens ;] After prowling around your website for a week or so just reading other posts, I decided to post one myself.

I attempted to locate the answer for the following questions, but was unable to find anything on the topic. That doesnt mean it isnt there...just means that I wasnt compooter smart enough to find it.

Question 1: What is the shelf life of an egg? Specifically Black Star eggs (if the shelf life is breed specific).

Question 2: Can you taste the difference between a fertile and infertile egg?

I look forward to being a regular on the site. My 26 Black Stars are on the way...and im building my coop after this post ;]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    [​IMG]

Up at the top of the page is a search function, just type in a word or phrase and it will pull up all the information you want to know. After finding the information you can subscribe to the post so you can reference the information at a later date if desired (took me awhile to figure that one out, lol)

Question #1 The shelf life varies by who you ask I think. Some people say 30-45 minutes and some have kept them for 2 months.

Question #2 No you cannot tell the difference in taste in fertile vs. non. They are both edible and deeellllliiiiicccciiiiooouuuussss!!!

Enjoy your new chicks [​IMG] Are these your first?

3. Freepopcorn

Freepopcorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Jefferson County, TN
    After a little more indepth search of the site, I found a discussion on shelf life. I will be keeping my eggs on the counter and using the water check for anything over 6weeks old (i highly doubt my eggs will make it that long).

Is the water test pretty effective? Lets say an egg sinks...is there anyway that egg might still be bad? (I have a set of eggs that my buddy was testing that are 9 months old. The eggs still sink o.0)

My set of Black Stars will be my first serious chickadee project. Ive had chicks before but mostly just for bug eating ;]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you know they are older than 5 - 6 weeks don't crack them. [​IMG]

Mine never last that long. I collect eggs on friday, saturday and sunday for my own use. I put them in my basket on the counter. Anything left on friday I cook and feed back to my chickens. All other eggs are refrigerated for the people who want eggs from me.

A never refrgerated egg tastes so much better than a chilled one. They also cook better in recipes.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    A never refrgerated egg tastes so much better than a chilled one. They also cook better in recipes.

WOW really?! I learn something new every day! So you can leave them on your counter? What is they are fertile? Temps above 70 start the growth of the embryo doesn't it? Or is this method just used for non fertile eggs?

Question 2: Can you taste the difference between a fertile and infertile egg?

We eat fertile eggs every day and there is no difference in the taste [​IMG] Still tastes awesome!​

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I answered your PM. All the info is easily found here on BYC if you do a search. [​IMG]

7. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    How long do you have to incubate an egg after it is laid? Do you have to start incubation immediately or is it 24 hours 48 hrs- 72 hrs. Or longer?

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A hen will lay and collect her eggs for 10 days or more before she sits. the eggs have to kept in a coolish place and turned daily to keep the embryos from sticking while waiting. No embryos will develop and no cells will divide until the egg have been incubated (naturally or artificially) at 100 degrees for 24 - 36 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by