1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg taste

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rmeltonknox, Dec 15, 2010.

1. I have white leghorns who free range during the day on pasture and scratch around the edge of the woods. I feed whole corn and wheat. They run with a rooster. They lay many large eggs, but they are so rich tasting I can only use them for baking. Is any of the factors I listed the cause? I would like to raise some not so rich for frying and scrambling.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine do the same but not so much right now because of the cold, but haven't noticed their eggs having any unusual taste they are rich but so much better than grocery store. they do hang with the roosters too. Maybe they are eating something out along the woods thats causing this

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I don't have any idea.. Mine free range for several hours per day. I feed them a regular chicken feed and some cracked corn. The eggs aren't rich by any means. I have no experience with wheat, although I could not imagine that being much of a flavor influence. Not saying that it isn't, I just don't see where it would effect it. Maybe someone else will come along with an answer for you!
    Edit to correct spelling.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    mine also free range, I have 2 leg horns, I feed Purina flock raiser with boss and scratch now and then, no complaints on the egg flavor. I'm thinking they may be getting something in the woods that is flavoring the eggs, also.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Wow that is the idea of having chickens is it not? Rich eggs with a dark yellow yolk...[​IMG]
    IMO learn to like it... That is the way eggs are supposed to be....[​IMG]

If you do not like them "rich" Lock your birds up do not let them free range and feed them commercial feed... Before you know it they will look and taste like store eggs...

ON

6. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    fresh eggs are naturaly stronger in flavor because they are fresh , if your not used to it you can aclimate your self to the taste buy mixing them with store bought eggs and scrambling them , people find it best to start with a 3:1 ratio store bought / fresh for one week ans decreasing the store bought eggs untill u can eat them

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Keep them confined so they can't get to any green feed. Don't feed them anything but bagged layer feed. You'll get milder, paler eggs.

Why you should want them I don't know, but you'll get them.

I did once have a customer bring back a dozen eggs who said they were "too strong tasting." The only time I have ever had eggs returned. I promptly returned her money. Most folks want those rich, dark yellow/orange yolks. It's what distinguishes them from factory eggs.

8. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    That is what eggs are supposed to taste like. [​IMG]

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

A.T. Hagan :

Keep them confined so they can't get to any green feed. Don't feed them anything but bagged layer feed. You'll get milder, paler eggs.

Why you should want them I don't know, but you'll get them.

I did once have a customer bring back a dozen eggs who said they were "too strong tasting." The only time I have ever had eggs returned. I promptly returned her money. Most folks want those rich, dark yellow/orange yolks. It's what distinguishes them from factory eggs.

I had that happen once too [​IMG] I ate the rest of the dozen the dear sweet city girl brought back and they tasted great to me. I guess they just tasted different than store bought eggs.
    I'm the same way on store bought milk. It taste like a spoonfull of milk in a gallon of water to me.​

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  10. emarble

emarble Chillin' With My Peeps

That is why I raise chickens so I can enjoy the wonderful flavor of a REAL egg! I can no longer stand to eat an egg away from home because they have NO flavor! This is what eggs were ment to taste like! Rich and full of Flavor YummmmmmOOOOOOOO

Ernie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by