egg-tastic! (and a question)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blondiega1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I have two hens, Largo and Montego. (Pekins)
    Well, Largo was an overachiever yesterday.

In the middle is a normal size duck egg.
    To the left is the one Largo laid yesterday and I am thinking its a double yoker!
    To the right is the little one Montego laid.
    Bless her heart.
    It's probably yokeless.
    Maybe I could market her as a low cholesterol duck!

[​IMG]

No eggs this morning. Not sure if it's because the weather has turned cooler or not.
    Or maybe after yesterday's BIG and little egg, they just didn't lay today.

Now for my question, the drakes are pretty "fond" of Montego, if ya know what I mean.
    Lately she's been separating herself from the flock.

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Swimming off by herself or laying somewhere away from the group.
    Reckon it's just cause the she's tired of the boys?
    Largo has REALLY BIG personality, so the boys don't mess with her as much, but Montego is much more meaker and the boys take full advantage!
    She's eating good and I've checked her over and she's got no injuries other than some feather loss off the back of her neck, but it's really not that bad. I've seen worse.
    I'm thinking she's just tired and worn out and would like some peace! What say y'all??
    [/FONT]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Give her a break from the drakes. There could be some internal damage you cannot see.

3. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Thanks.
    I have considered separating her for a few days to get a break, but she seems to be doing that on her own.
    We have a 5 acre lake they free range on, so while the flock is in one spot, she's moved away to another.
    Then this morning I hear her LOUDLY quacking and I went outside to look and she's fussing for the flock to come to her!
    LOL!!

She was on one side of the lake fussing up a storm until the flock swam over to her!!!
    I'll keep my eye on things and separate her if she's looking worn down again.
    Funny, the drakes don't mess with Largo like this.
    Largo don't take no crap! LOL

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I forgot how many drakes you have. You probably have heard that more than 1 drake per 3 ducks can be serious trouble.

5. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Yeah.
    I have four drakes, two hens.
    One drake thinks he's a canada goose so he doesn't even hang with the flock or factor in to the picture.
    He hangs with the resident geese and the migratory ones that pass through.

Up till now, it hasn't been an issue as the other 3 drakes and the 2 hens have all been raised together from ducklings.
    I know it's hard to rehome drakes, so I'll keep my boys and rehome the girls if it becomes a real issue.
    As much as I'd like to have more hens, my husband would probably kill me if I show up with more ducks! LOL

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad you are watching out. It can be fatal for the girls, and apparently some drakes will suddenly become more aggressive. Hormones, I reckon. Though I appreciate the eggs from my runners, I know that drakes can be fun, and they also eat weeds and garden pests and make great fertilizer.

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I hope all is well with your ducks. But I do have to say that if your hens are showing signs of overbreeding (missing neck feathers, bloody necks, etc) then you should rehome some of them. Whether it be the drakes or the ducks is up to you.
    In my experience, overbreeding can be sudden and can be very dangerous to your females. I am convinced that one of my runners was killed because of this ( I had 4 drakes and 3 hens ). Then, when I switched to muscovy and ended up with 4 drakes and 1 hen out of the ducklings I got, as soon as they started acting out of sorts ( going after my chickens etc) to freezer camp they went.
    I would say avoid any heartache and rehome some before the worst happens.

8. Blondiega1

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Right now everyone is doing okay.
    I'll keep a close eye and rehome the girls if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by