egg temp.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tommijo, Jun 6, 2008.

1. tommijo

tommijo Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    My incubator air temp is between 99.8 to 100.5 with a fan. and the same probe placed on an egg read 98 is this okay or should the egg read over or just about 99.7. This is day 4 of setting and it is 100 outside. can I move the bator outside open the lid and candle instead of dropping the temp. if done inside. Sorry if I sent this message to the wrong place I'm new at this.

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    you should wait to candle til day 7 earliest. Don't move the bator just candle quick. A drop in temp for a few minutes to candle won't change the internal temp of the egg, you should be fine.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    My incubator air temp is between 99.8 to 100.5 with a fan. and the same probe placed on an egg read 98 is this okay or should the egg read over or just about 99.7.

Air temp is NOT egg temp and can be very misleading in a small bator. Normally the air temp will be higher than the egg temp. If you are using a remote probe thermo, good for you! Now find one of those squeezy, water-filled tube toys and put the probe in there. Then, put THAT in the bator. The water filled toy simulates an actual egg and will give a true egg temp reading.
    Heres a link:

http://shilala.homestead.com/weasel.html

Dont pay $12 for one, either. Go to WalMart or the Dollar Store and get one for a buck. If you can't find a squeezy toy, then partly fill a sealable plastic baggie with water and roll it around the probe, secured with rubber bands. That'll do in a pinch.

This is day 4 of setting and it is 100 outside. Can I move the bator outside open the lid and candle instead of dropping the temp. if done inside.

No need for all that. Just open the lid, candle and close it back up. Dont dawdle, mind you, but dont worry about it.

However, candling before day 8 is a worry. The delicate tracery of veins that is the developing, early-stage embryo is VERY vulnerable to mis-handling. It's best if you wait until day 8-10. Besides there isnt much to see before then, anyway.

The incubation cycle is actually made up of 4 separate phases - -

Phase 1: Day 0-7.
    Early development. Germ begins development once temps reach 70 degrees. There is more proportional growth during this phase than in later phases. It is also most vulnerable now. Best to leave it alone during this time. Only gentle turning is advised.

Phase 2: Day 8-14.
    Embryo is more developed and wil begin to create its own body heat. Heart will start beating during this phase.

Phase 3: Day 15-17.
    The embryo becomes a chick by this time. It is regulating its own body temp and respiration really steps up. You'll note a temp spike in the bator in the beginning of this stage because of this.
    The chick begins movement towards the air cell in preparation of hatching.

Phase 4: Day 18-21.
    The chick moves to the air cell and takes its first breaths there. Stop turning now, so as not to disorient the chick. It is fully formed and is little dependent on temps, by this stage. The final preparations for hatching are completed and hatch out begins on day 21.​

4. tommijo

tommijo Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info. so I guess the egg needs to be 99.7. If so is there a problems with 4 day at 97 to 98 degree eggs.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yes, egg temp should be about 100, give or take.

Is there a problem? Not drastic, if you get it where it should be. Bump the air temp to 101-102 and then hustle out to find a water squeezy, or make one.

6. gessieviolet

gessieviolet Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't panic at your temperature readings. Like you are being advised I encourage you to get (or make water weasel). Let me tell you my story. I am new at this too, and made an incubator. Every setting so far I have been thoroughly convinced by hatch day that I would see nothing happen because I felt the fluctuation in temp was too extreme. My first hatches were with shipped eggs and I got 20 - 30% hatch even with the fluctuation--I was pretty happy. I had rigged a manual turner on these hatches.

I want to try some eggs that I read are very temperamental so decided to see what would happen with some of my own bantam and button quail eggs first. I decided rather than get upset about temperature fluctuation I would adjust the temp to 100-101 range based on wiggle temp and using a automatic turner just let them be. Well, with my usual luck, the temp held range great for first 2 weeks of incubation then suddenly it starts staying, according to thermometer, in a range below 99. I was so frustrated I decided just to let things alone and see if any eggs would hatch on a delayed basis. Today is day 17, I saw no evidence of pipping yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I just happened to check this morning and found a hatching tray full of baby quail 17 out of 20 eggs hatched, with another hatched since!! Bantam are scheduled to hatch next Tuesday.....I now have hope for them.

My point is, if I had followed the inclination to discard everything because of what I saw I would have missed the best hatch percentage I've had for quail; and we'll wait with eager anticipation next Tuesday's bantam.

Then I'll try to figure out what's wrong with the thermometers and incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by