Egg Texture Question (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eagleman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Our first Easter Egger began laying in November and her sisters have started in the past couple of months.

I have noticed that I get eggs from at least two (of the four) that are textured. I am not sure if it means anything nutritionally (for the chickens laying them...not for those of us eating them). Any thoughts or is it normal for some eggs, or the eggs of some chickens to be rough? I can sometimes remove these spots with my fingernail but they are hard and don't seem like hardened poop. Also, they usually remain when hard boiled.

Examples:
    This one is from the hen who started laying first...she always gives us small smooth eggs.

[​IMG]

We also get eggs that are rough and spotty all over or with dark spots that also seem to be made out of egg shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the eggs of one hen seem to have large "pores." They are smoother then the above spotty ones.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I haven't had a "sandpaper" egg since back when my girls first started laying. I chalked it up to them still having some glitches in their egg factories.
    The egg in your third pic looks like it has a calcium deposit on it. Nothing to worry about IMO.
    You might find this link helpful:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

3. Eagleman

Eagleman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thank you!
    That link is very helpful.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a EE hen that still to this day lays me textured egg despite diet change. I think she just want to be different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by