Egg thief - caught in the act!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have approximately 50 chickens, 30+ hens, 6 roos, and the rest youngsters. They all went into a major molt, so I figured that's why I haven't been getting very many eggs, only about 4 a day. Well, the egg laying started picking up in the last week or so, but yesterday I got a big fat zero!!!! I was blaming the chickens until this morning.

Today was worming day. I went into one pen and as I wormed each chicken, I put him/her outside the pen. There was an egg in the box, which I figured I'd pick up when I was finished. Pen #2 - worm chicken, put outside, pick up next chicken, worm, put outside, repeat, repeat, repeat ... happen to look up and see dog eating something round and brown! I ran outside the pen and sure enough, it was an egg. The box in the first pen was empty!

We spent the next hour making a small door in the doors of the coops. No more eggs for Rusty, although he has beautiful shiny fur and looks very healthy!

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Glad you caught the rascal! [​IMG]

3. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    What a relief to find the culprit. Dogs are easier to prevent (hopefully) than some other egg eaters too!

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    hehe thats funny,my muscovy have made there nest where my male LGD (livestock gaurdian dog)sleeps and eats.Glad he don't eat their eggs.
    rooky move i comented on and old post *face palm*

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by