Egg Thief ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sagr75, Aug 12, 2013.

1. sagr75

sagr75 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    central Louisiana
    Here is my question. Six days ago I got my first eggs (two of them on the same day) from my nine red sex links all about the same age. So I know two of them are laying, as I have also seen two different ones in the nest boxes and later found an egg. The problem is counting those first two eggs I have only gotten two more in the last six days. Is that unusual or I am getting robbed by maybe a chicken snake as there are no signs of anything else getting in the coop. If I disturb the nest straw it seems to be smoothed out by the next day. Any suggestions.

2. That is perfectly normal for pullets when they first begin to lay. Inconsistency is normal for the first few weeks. Of course you can check regularly to make sure you have no predators. How secure are the nest boxes?

Wish ya the best.

3. sagr75

sagr75 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    central Louisiana
    Thanks for the info. Most of the other seven started squatting this weekend, so maybe the two will be getting some help in the laying dept. The door to the coop is open all day as they have about a 30 x 30 open run to range in all day. I have thought about keeping the in the coop all day for a while as it is 12 x 20 and completely enclosed. But if this is normal for first starting to lay I will let them keep doing their everyday thing as they love being outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by