Egg thieves

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carols Clucks, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    My mom has noticed when she goes to church, magically her chickens skip laying eggs that day........

We have a long property, .6 acres, with the house at the top and no power to the bottom of the property (although I could run a conduit and a couple hundred feet of cord for something with a low power draw)

What would you use to "watch" when she is gone? She does not have web access, so no streaming web cams.

I am thinking of setting up an old vcr and a security camera in a sun room aimed at the chicken house for now, but something to be able to check on the lower gate would be good in the future.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Crowing

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    You could use a game camera. They take still images, and a few of the more expensive models take short videos.

3. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    Quote:A game camera would do the trick, but it has to well hidden. People who steal eggs will steal a camera.

It would just be cheaper and easier to have someone skip church and wait to see who shows up. But, maybe not safer.

Rufus

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Songster

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    Make sure you are properly posted for No Trespassing.

Padlock the chicken area -- the run or the coop or the nest box cover.

Put a game camera up a tree, hidden, with a view of the coop.

One person skip church. Take pictures, call 911, or chase off with weapon.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Crowing

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:A game camera would do the trick, but it has to well hidden. People who steal eggs will steal a camera.

It would just be cheaper and easier to have someone skip church and wait to see who shows up. But, maybe not safer.

Rufus

Yes, forgot to mention hiding the camera! Putting one out in plain sight would definitely be silly [​IMG]

6. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Songster

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Your Mom can contact the police and tell them what's happening. They may be willing to have someone watch her coop for an hour on Sunday morning and, if necessary, make an arrest.

7. ericsplls

ericsplls Songster

Feb 25, 2010
    Google day6 plotwatcher. It's smaller than a normal game camera so it hides easier, it doesn't require a motion sensor so being within 25 feet isn't a problem. What it does is take a picture every few seconds during the day and you can watch 6 days worth in a few minutes. It looks like a movie until something odd shows up. You can zoom in on it slow it down and stop it any where you want it.

8. If they know when you're gone and they know you have eggs, it sounds like someone who lives nearby. You can also try letting your neighbors know and asking everyone to keep their eyes open. Maybe someone has already noticed some odd behavior. I would guess it's kids, not an adult.
    I think locking the coop and having an adult stay home to covertly watch who comes to take them would be the most inexpensive option.

9. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    That's awful. Hope you catch them. I like the idea of having someone watch one sunday while she's away.

Once word gets out that someone's stealing eggs during church time, there might be a lot more people show up at service, lol.

The camera that takes a pic every few seconds sounds good, too. I just can't fathom all the chicken and egg stealing going on.

10. redstars

redstars Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    A simple sign on the coop door saying smile your on camera would probably get the egg count back where it belongs.
    I recently had a similar problem and a padlock worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: