Egg-topsy or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mmmaddie13, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I just took out a dozen eggs from my batch of 29. 3 were clear, and 6 more had quit since the last time I candled (originally had 2 quitters). I had at one point the temperature go to 103.5 (not sure for how log), and my stupid cats got in the room and knocked stuff over on top of the incubator, jostling the eggs around a bit on day 16.

I don't know if I should crack these eggs open or not, because I am really disappointed with my incubator (HovaBator 1602n, still air), and I wish I didn't lose as many as I did. These are eggs from BYC member bargain so I KNOW it's either my fault or the incubator's fault, nothing to do with the quality of the eggs.

Ugh I'm just hoping for a good hatch at this point. If only I could get the stinkin' humidity up! [​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I prefer not to open my dead eggs. Its just too gross for me to bother. Not like I'll find a fortune cookie in there that says why they stopped.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I agree with not opening them, sometimes if you open them they explode! Not a good thing!

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Since you know what went wrong, the heat spike ect, not important to open them.

I open eggs to find out what went wrong, why, and when.

5. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sounds good to me. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by